With the devastating social and economic impacts of COVID-19, it is more important than ever to protect the nutrition, health, and livelihoods of the world’s most vulnerable. We know that many of the two billion people who suffer from micronutrient deficiencies, or "hidden hunger", consume rice as their primary staple food. While rice is relatively affordable and calorically dense, it is nutritionally poor. But the capacity to increase the nutritional value of this staple food is well within our reach.
This webinar will:
- present the latest progress in attempts to transition from unfortified to fortified rice in countries with a high burden of malnutrition;
- share results from the utilization of new delivery platforms;
- discuss efforts to identify countries with the greatest potential for benefitting from rice fortification;
- engage representatives of governments at different stages of implementation and scale up, as well as representatives from the private sector and the advocacy community.
The event will be moderated by Paul Newnham, Director of the SDG2 Advocacy Hub & Coordinator of Chef’s Manifesto and feature:
- Paul Nicholson, Head of Rice Research and Sustainability, Olam International Limited;
- Yannick Foing, Global Director, Nutrition Improvement, DSM;
- Scott Montgomery, Director, Food Fortification Initiative;
- Corinne Ringholz, Food Fortification Advisor for the Nutrition Division, WFP;
- Manpreet Chadha, Senior Technical Advisor for Food Fortification, Nutrition International;
- Amadou Sall Dial, Chairman, Senegalese Committee for Micronutrient Food Fortification
- Ram Chandra Das, Director General, Department of Women Affairs, Bangladesh;
- Walter Vílchez Dávila, Director, CENAN-MINSA, Peru;
- Radhika Khandelwal, Chef and Owner, Radish Hospitality & Chefs’ Manifesto Representative.
Audience members are encouraged to pose questions for speakers, share experiences and contribute to the #Futurefortified conversation
This webinar will be available in English, French, and Spanish.