This May, the 76th World Health Assembly will consider passage of a resolution on food fortification, calling on Member States and the World Health Organization to accelerate efforts to prevent micronutrient deficiencies and their consequences through food fortification.
This important resolution was initiated by a community of advocates focused on large scale food fortification with folic acid (vitamin B9) as the most effective intervention to reduce the prevalence of spina bifida and hydrocephalus worldwide, and has since been broadened to urge global progress in fortification with a range of micronutrients including iron, vitamin A, zinc, calcium and vitamin D.
Endorsed by more than 70 nutrition, healthcare, and disability rights organisations, the proposed resolution has the potential to mobilise new support and political will to expand and improve large scale food fortification programmes worldwide.
This resolution is particularly timely given rising levels of hunger and malnutrition resulting from the current global food crisis. Join the global #futurefortified community on Tuesday 4 April for a webinar to learn more about this important global initiative and what you can do to support it.
The event is titled Fortifying our Future: Coming together to support the World Health Assembly Resolution on Food Fortification.
This event will be a 90-minute virtual conference, structured around informal Q&A panels guided by moderator, Shawn Baker - Chief Program Officer, Helen Keller Intl; Vice-Chair, Board of Directors, MNF, and panels of guests including:
- Fadoi Chaouki, Nutrition Policy Officer, Directorate General of International Partnerships, European Commission
- Haymanot Asfaw, Manager, Mintu Investment Group, Former GM, Ethiopian Millers Association
- Inoshi Sharma, Executive Director, FSSAI
- Dr. Kemel Ghotme, pediatric neurosurgeon, researcher, and advocate
- Luz Maria De-Regil, Head, Multisectoral Action in Food Systems, WHO
- Maria Juliana Tenorio Quintero, Representative, Government of Colombia
- Ndeye Fatou Ndiaye, Coordinator, Senegalese Committee for Food Fortification
- Papatya Genca, Board Member, Turkish Spina Bifida Association
- Penjani Mkambula, Senior Cluster Lead for Food Fortification, GAIN
- Saskia Osendarp, Executive Director, MNF
- Sylvia Roozen, Secretary General, IFSBH
You can watch the webinar live below!
The webinar is also available in Amharic, French and Spanish.