Webinar 1 of the Second Global Summit on Food Fortification Series - #FutureFortified
At least 340 million children under 5 (one in two) suffer from hidden hunger, known as micronutrient malnutrition.
Large scale food fortification (LSFF) is the addition of vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin A, vitamin D, iron, zinc, and folic acid, to staple foods like wheat or maize flour, edible oils and fats, salt, sugar, and rice. Biofortification aims to increase nutrient levels in crops during plant growth rather than through manual means during processing.
Combined, these interventions represent an unprecedented opportunity to reach the most vulnerable people and communities suffering from hidden hunger.
Moderated by prominent author, journalist and advocate with the Chicago Council on Global Affairs, Roger Thurow, this webinar will focus on success stories to demonstrate how these interventions can have a multiplier effect in reaching those most at risk of being left behind.
- Dr Victor Aguayo, Associate Director and Global Chief of Nutrition, Programme Division, UNICEF
- Dr Werner Schultink, Executive Director, Iodine Global Network
- Dr Lamine Gueye, HKI West Africa Regional Food Fortification Manager
- Mr Alex Marco, HKI Program Adviser Cameroon
- Ms Sakile Kudita, Zimbabwe Country Manager, HarvestPlus
- Ms. Anahita Dhondy, Indian Chef and Member of the Chef's Manifesto
- More to be announced shortly.
This webinar marks the first in a virtual series of interactive #FutureFortified webinar sessions, which will take place in collaboration with partners and sponsors monthly throughout 2021. The webinars will focus on 8 themes, representing crucial ingredients to ensure the food fortification agenda is part of the necessary food systems transformations to ensure the most vulnerable people are reached with nutrient rich foods. The series will invigorate interest, awareness and investment in Large-Scale Food Fortification (LSFF) and biofortification leading toward the UN Food Systems Summit and the Tokyo Nutrition for Growth Summit in 2021.
Share with us your questions in advance via our social channels.