As the birthplace of the decade of action on nutrition 2016-2025, UNGA is the natural platform to bring leaders together to highlight the impact of COVID-19 on malnutrition and how we move forward to mitigate the damage.
The webinar event highlight the key outcomes and opportunities that were conveyed by the Standing Together for Nutrition (STFN) consortium and the heads of four UN agencies (WHO, WFP, WHO, FAO) in their commentaries in the Lancet at the end of July 2020.
The focus of the discussion will be precisely what STfN and the heads of the four UN agencies put forward: an urgent call to action to governments, donors, private sector and the UN to support national governments to:
- Safeguard access to nutritious, safe, and affordable diets;
- Invest decisively in maternal and child nutrition;
- Re-activate services for the early detection and treatment of child wasting;
- Maintain the provision of nutritious and safe school meals;
- Expand social protection to safeguard access to nutritious diets and essential services;
- Move more quickly towards the realization of SDG 2 (Zero Hunger) and related SDGs 3 (Good Health and Wellbeing), 5 (Gender Equality) and 10 (Reduced Inequalities). Given the integral role of food and health systems in the health and well-being of all societies, we will argue that the achievement of SDG 2, will also have an impact on SDGs 4 (Quality Education) and SDG 9 (Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure);
- A minimum of USD2.4 billion is needed immediately to increase coverage of life-saving nutrition services and address this steep uptick in wasting.
To register for the event, please click here.