From 15-18 February 2021, the fourth Milan Urban Food Policy Pact (MUFPP) Regional Forum in Africa will be hosted by the City of Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
The MUFPP is an international agreement among cities from all over the world, committed "to develop sustainable food systems that are inclusive, resilient, safe and diverse, that provide healthy and affordable food to all people in a human rights-based framework, that minimize waste and conserve biodiversity while adapting to and mitigating impacts of climate change".
MUFPP aims to support cities with developing more sustainable urban food systems by promoting city to city cooperation and exchanging best practices. The MUFPP Regional Forum is an important event to foster city to city exchange. This 4th MUFPP regional forum will focus on exchanges between cities and sharing good city practices. There will be reflected upon city progress of commitments made in past Forums and on how cities move to provide food to populations during emergencies. Furthermore, food policies and sustainability issues will be discussed in light with global challenges such as the COVID-19 pandemic and climate change.
The forum is particular open to technical, administrative and policy representatives of African city governments. All cities are welcome, they do not need to be members of the Milan Urban Food Policy Pact.
The goals of the conference are:
- Strengthening of the network of African cities of the MUFPP
- Exchange of experiences and good practices between cities
- Drafting of the declaration of African cities of the MUFPP for
- advocacy activities at upcoming international events
- Reflection and discussion on specific themes: how
- towns provide food to populations during severe crises (climate change, pandemics, floods); challenges
- food waste in urban areas; the role of society, civilians and young people in cities
GAIN’s Urban Governance for Nutrition Senior Associate Annie Trevenen-Jones will take part in Panel 5 on upcoming food-related international policy processes 2021 (UN Food Systems Summit (UNFSS), COP26, Nutrition for Growth Summit (N4G) on Wednesday 17 February 2021.