Ensuring that all people can consume diets rich in vitamins and minerals is foundational to building a healthy food system and to achieving global goals. Large-scale food fortification (LSFF) is a powerful and established food systems intervention with a proven track record of virtually eliminating debilitating vitamin and mineral deficiencies as a public health concern. Yet despite its benefits and proven approach, LSFF is a massively underutilized tool in our efforts to end preventable diseases and death.
New energy and momentum are urgently needed to elevate large-scale food fortification on the agenda and spur rapid scale up. To that end, USAID announced at the UN Food Systems Summit that it is undertaking a new large-scale food fortification partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and UNICEF to address widespread malnutrition in low-and middle-income countries. This joint initiative aims to accelerate progress and catalyze momentum. The three institutions are developing a high-level shared vision and roadmap for advancing the LSFF agenda globally.
This webinar will:
- Highlight new commitments to LSFF in the lead up to the Nutrition for Growth Summit in December;
- Feature global and national efforts on LSFF, demonstrating momentum and proof-of-impact achieved through targeted investment and political leadership, with a focus on country level action.
The event will feature:
- Henrietta Fore, Executive Director, UNICEF;
- Mark Suzman, CEO, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Jim Barnhart, Assistant to the Administrator, USAID Bureau for Resilience and Food Security
- Zouera Youssoufou, Managing Director and CEO, Aliko Dangote Foundation
- Paloma Fernandes, CEO, Cereal Millers Association of Kenya
- With more speakers to be announced soon…