Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Second Global Summit on Food Fortification, which was originally planned to take place in Bangkok, Thailand in March 2020, has been converted to a virtual series. The Summit will launch with a kick-off event as part of the Micronutrient Forum 5th Global Conference CONNECTED to be held during the week of 8 November, 2020.
A virtual series of interactive #FutureFortified sessions will take place online in collaboration with partners and sponsors beginning in December 2020 and culminating at the Nutrition for Growth Summit in December 2021. All online Summit events will be free and open to all.
The Second Global Summit on Food Fortification is part of a worldwide effort to invigorate interest, awareness and investment in Large-Scale Food Fortification (LSFF) and biofortification – two population-based interventions with enormous potential to contribute sustainably to reducing and preventing micronutrient deficiencies globally. This high-level event will provide a basis for new fortification commitments from governments, donors, and the private sector at the upcoming Nutrition for Growth Summit in Japan.
The Second Global Summit on Food Fortification aims to build consensus around the most important actions that should be pursued in order for staple food fortification to meet its potential impact to reduce malnutrition worldwide.
The summit will explore complementarities between industrial fortification and biofortification, as well as lessons learned from industrial fortification that are applicable to efforts to scale up biofortification and maximise its impact.
Other themes to be featured in the Second Global Summit on Food Fortification agenda include:
- A review of global progress since the first summit was held in Arusha, Tanzania in 2015.
- The complementary roles of industry, government, academia, and civil society in ensuring the success and sustainability of fortification at national, regional, and global levels.
- Improving monitoring and ensuring quality and compliance of fortification across agriculture, trade and health systems.
- Measuring impact and using data for advocacy, to increase accountability and ensure evidence-based decisions.
- Improving national fortification programmes through advocacy, technical assistance, consumer activism and civil society engagement.
Registration Fee Refunds
The Summit high-level launch event and online series will be open to all free of charge. Due to the unfortunate circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the inability to hold the global conference in person, all who have registered and paid to attend the Summit in Bangkok are entitled to a full refund of their Summit registration fee.
Registered participants will have received an email from the Summit registration team the week of 10 August 2020.
In order to receive the refund, registrants will need to promptly follow the instructions provided in the email message.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com as soon as possible. We look forward to seeing you online.